How many people can visualise a kilometre (or a mile for that matter)? asks Martin Vlietstra.
This is a short list of distances associated with well-known landmarks of approximately one kilometre. Where possible, the list is restricted to distances of between 950 m and 1050 m.
- London – The Mall (It is 992 m from the centre of the Queen Victoria Memorial to the centre of the Admiralty Arch).
- Forth Road Bridge – The main span and hence the distance between the two towers is 1006 m.
- Severn Bridge – The main span and hence the distance between the two towers is 988 m.
- Coventry – Diameter of the Ring Road. See map below and compare with the kilometre grid squares.
- Liverpool & Birkenhead – Width of the Mersey in the vicinity of The Liver Building is approximately 1 km.
It is easy for anybody to find @reference kilometres’ in the area where they live. In Britain the kilometre grid on the OS maps makes things a lot easier. It should be remembered that most county and city atlases (A-Z guides) also have kilometre or 500 m grids. If you really want super accuracy, then use Google Earth!
[Acknowledgements to the Ordnance Survey]